Sunday, January 23, 2011

Secrets are toxic

So who would have thought such wisdom would be found in a TV show?  On Bones it was said that secrets among friends are toxic.  Does that mean all secrets?

In my experience you have to filter the truth.  Most people are not able to handle 100% of the truth.  So if you tell the truth to your friends you have to think some things through...

Who does it benefit if they know 100% how you feel?
Will it change the outcome of what is happening?
Will it just cause more hurt than good?

My thought is sometimes telling the truth is only beneficially to the one telling it, not the ones hearing it and if this person is truly your friend you should be more worried about hurting them than releasing your own thoughts.
On the other hand there are times when you can't stand by without speaking the truth and it should be worth it in the end... the end may be a long ways away but one day that friend will understand that you had their best interest in mind even if it didn't feel that way at the time.

Where is all this coming from?  A couple places. 
1.  I have a circle of friends that is falling apart because everyone is seeing only their side of the story.  No one is trying to see that each of them has a reason for feeling the way they do and none of them may be wrong.
What is wrong is when you discount your friends feeling to make it easier on yourself.  Only those involved know when that line is being crossed.

2.  I have my own truths I am wrestling with.  I have so many feelings circling in my head it is hard to know what is going on.  At this point in time I'm not sure I can say that I even know what is true.  I guess only time will tell and hopefully in that time I don't go crazy

So in the end the truth hurts and so does a lie.  You have to ask yourself and be honest. 
Do you want people to lie to you?  If so you can't get mad when you find out the truth.
Do you want people to tell you the truth?   If so you can't get mad when you hear it.

For me... I want the truth.  I will respect you more and be able to make a honest decision for myself. 
Again I think most people think they want to truth but can really only handle the lie.  To bad they don't see it and they blame others for this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm...do you really think the circle of friends is falling apart? I'm not so sure. I'd be willing to make a peace offering but I'm not sure what or when?!

Powered by Blogger.

Followers