Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fear

Fear, its what keep us from change.  But It is also what makes up change.

I work in a Rehab Center/Nursing home.  Sometimes someone I meet makes a big impact on me and brings out some emotions you try to keep underneath.
So today I met an 83 year old man.  He told me a story of how he was married for 47 years.  His wife died from cancer at 60.  He had tears in his eyes when he spoke about her.  It was obviously sad.
Then he told me the second half of the story.  When he was in the war he was in a POW in Germany.  He was released and not sure why but stayed there for a year and a half.  During this time he had met a girl at the dance hall.  He wanted her to come back with him but her mother said no.
After his wife died he went back to Germany to see family (he is from their but lived in America most of his life).  He drove by his old girlfriends house.  She had moved a year before but a neighbor had her phone number.  She called her and he spoke only one sentence, she knew instantly who he was, it had been 60 years.  They agreed to meet.  It turned out she was divorced and alone.  They now live together and are married. 
The thing I remember most about this story is the emotion is his face.
See a fear of mine is that I have not had children and unless some miracle happens I will not.  So what happens when I have to face the death of my parents or what happens when I am old and not well.  Who will talk with such emotion about me?  Who will feel that much love and stand by my side?  Who will stand by my husbands side?
I fear this for everyone as all to often I see people just sit, alone waiting for it all to end.  This isn't always a quick process and lets face it extended family is rarely involved, we just don't do those things as a culture. 

So is the answer to make a choice not based on fear?  Or is the answer to pick what I fear less?
Who knows.... don't get me wrong this hasn't changed my mind.  Just today was one of those days, you meet someone and they make an impact. 

Thank you to the man in the story.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers